Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Brand New Dish

Dish with Fish is a new blog and a new venture for me. The idea of this blog came from a yearning to share my passion for food and cooking with others. I have always loved to eat, but towards the end of high school I discovered that even better that eating was cooking, eating while cooking, and cooking and then eating. Nothing relaxes me or satisfies me like a day in the kitchen with fresh food, sharp knives, hot pots, and good company. Food is a way to spread joy and comfort, and most importantly it is a way to bring people together. Food transcends age, gender, culture, and nationality, in fact all over the world food is used to express affection, hospitality, respect, and love. It is in many ways the true universal language. I get the greatest joy from sharing a meal I have prepared with the people I love. So, as my friends moved to new cities, and my siblings moved out of the house, I thought to myself why not share a meal via cyberspace? My plan is to travel to different kitchens and collect recipes from the greatest cooks I know, my friends and family. In order to provide a diverse selection of recipes, I will cook with people of all ages and all cultures, and together we will prepare dishes that epitomize what is so special about food - a feeling of home, comfort, and love. I will also ask cooks to tell me about their relationship with food and what food has meant to them throughout their lives, and I will make sure to recall these stories along with the recipes. The blog will be jammed packed with detailed description and photographs of preparation techniques, and there will be ample space to comment, ask questions, and request recipes. I am extremely excited to start this blog, and although it may be a while before my first dish with a guest, I hope to start posting other recipes, culinary information, technical lessons, and updates on tools and food news. Till the next Dish. -Emily

3 comments: